Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Barnet 2 Stanley 0

13 August 2016

Stanley lost 2-0 on their first away trip of the season with John Akinde and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro on target for Barnet.

The Reds, who won their opening clash with Doncaster and then celebrated a penalty win over League One Bradford in the EFL Cup after extra-time, had plenty of possession but couldn't overly test Bees keeper Josh Vickers.

John Coleman did make three changes from Tuesday and his men forced a succession of corners in the early stages but were unable to capitalise.

And the Stanley boss had to reshuffle his team on 14 minutes when striker Terry Gornell came off injured with Rommy Boco, ten years since he scored Stanley's first league goals – which were actually against the Bees - replacing him.

The first real chance for Stanley came in the 17th minute when Blackburn loanee John O'Sullivan rifled a strike which was narrowly over the bar.

Barnet then created two strong chances with Michael Nelson's header cleared on the goalline by the feet of Aaron Chapman while one-time Stanley target Alex Nicholls volleyed inches wide.

The Bees took the lead in the 33rd minute when a ball over the top sent striker Akinde surging forward and he held his nerve to slot home.

They could have had a swift second on 40 minutes when Akinde again raced free, this time down the left wing, and he tried to set up Nicholls but Matty Pearson made a telling interception.

Stanley were restricted to long range efforts with Steven Hewitt firing over from distance twice as they barely tested keeper Josh Vickers in the first half.

Barnet came close again three minutes after the restart when dangerman Akinde raced free down the wing again and passed to Curtis Weston who curled his effort wide.

Sean McConville forced a good save out of Vickers on 53 minutes and then there were appeals for a penalty when O'Sullivan went down in the area but referee Lee Collins signalled play on.

Barnet brought on sub Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and he had only been on the pitch a matter of minutes when he got the ball 30 yards out and fired the second into the bottom of the net on the hour mark.

Stanley pressed without again testing Vickers and Bastien Hery came on for his Stanley debut, replacing sub Boco for the final 15 minutes.

The Reds pressed with sub Jordan Clark beating three men in the area but then firing over while McConville forced a good save out of Vickers in seven minutes of injury time but they couldn't grab a goal.

Advertisement block