Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
01 October 2022 Venue Wham Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 3 Morecambe 1

Reds leave it late to secure victory over ten-man Shrimps

1 October 2022

Accrington Stanley left it late to earn the bragging rights in their Lancashire derby with ten-man Morecambe.

Liam Coyle gave Stanley the lead in the second half after Arthur Gnahoua had been sent off for the Shrimps at the end of the first half.

An own goal pulled Morecambe level on 77 minutes before Ethan Hamilton and Tommy Leigh scored goals in the final ten minutes to give the Reds their third successive League One win.

The game started off at a frantic pace with former Red loan defender Farrand Rawson heading over in the early stages for Morecambe while Doug Tharme headed into the arms of keeper Connor Ripley, another former Stanley player.

Stanley’s Mitch Clark and Hamilton played dangerous balls across the box while a Sean McConville effort was off-target.

On 24 minutes, Stanley came close when a header from Harvey Rodgers was chested off the line by Rawson.

Morecambe’s Jake Taylor fired across the goal and narrowly wide while a Tharme throw-in caused chaos in the Shrimps area but no one could capitalise.

The Shrimps were reduced to ten men in first half injury time when frontman Gnahoua caught Clark in the centre circle and referee James Oldham judged it a red card.

Stanley tried to make use of their numerical advantage early on in the second half with Clark firing just wide after good build-up play from the Reds.

Clark played a blistering ball in which neither Leigh or Coyle could connect with and McConville lashed an effort against the inside of the post.

On the next attack, on 58 minutes, Clark played the ball back to Coyle in the area and he stroked the ball into the far corner of the net to give the Reds the lead – his first goal of the season.

Stanley pressed for a second and Leigh flashed a chance wide but Stanley lost defender Tharme to injury on 73 minutes.

Morecambe equalised on 77 minutes when a Ripley free kick over the top, bounced once and was lifted over Lukas Jensen by Ryan Astley, under pressure from Morecambe substitute Cole Stockton.

Stanley restored their lead on 81 minutes after a foul on Shaun Whalley gave the Reds a free kick on the edge of the area and Hamilton fired his effort low and hard into the far corner of the net. It was Hamilton’s first goal since February.

And John Coleman’s side made the game safe on 84 minutes when substitute Jack Nolan pounced on a loose back pass and passed the ball to Leigh who stroked it into the empty net.


Stanley: Jensen, Clark, Tharme (Nolan), Astley, Rodgers, Conneely, McConville, Coyle, Hamilton, Whalley, Leigh

Subs: Savin, Sangare, Delfouneso, Martin, Sloane, Fernandes

Yellow: Conneely, Tharme

Attendance: 2,916 (727 from Morecambe)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account