Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
14 January 2023 Venue Wham Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Stanley 2 Bristol Rovers 0

Leigh and Astley on target as Reds move out of bottom four

14 January 2023

Accrington Stanley celebrated their first League One win at the Wham Stadium since October to move out of the relegation places.

Substitute Tommy Leigh and defender Ryan Astley scored the goals against promotion-chasing Bristol Rovers, who Stanley have done the double over this season.

It was a pretty even start with neither side having any major chances in the first 10 minutes,

However the Reds almost made a breakthrough on 11 minutes when a goalkick from Toby Savin sent Shaun Whalley through and he beat keeper James Belshaw but his chip crashed against the post.

Stanley suffered a blow when on-loan Brentford striker Aaron Pressley limped off on 40 minutes, replaced by Leigh, who is recovering from a dead leg.

On 40 minutes, a Rovers corner caused chaos in the Stanley box with Luke McCormick’s shot blocked and the Reds cleared their lines.

Chances were limited with Stanley having just three and Rovers two in the first half, with none on target.

Stanley opened the scoring on 51 minutes when Rosaire Longelo’s ball into box found Harvey Rodgers and the ball bounced down with Leigh pouncing and turning in the area to fire home. It was the striker’s ninth goal of the campaign.

Rovers tried to come back immediately – substitute Ryan Loft heading into Savin’s arms.

The Reds suffered another injury loss when captain Seamus Conneely limped off on 62 minutes, replaced by Doug Tharme who is on the way back from the treatment table.

John Coleman’s men made the game safe on 79 minutes when a Sean McConville corner was headed at the far post by Harvey Rodgers into the six yard box and Astley was there, with his back to goal, to fire home.


Stanley: Savin, Astley, Conneely (Tharme), Rodgers, Coyle, Longelo (Touray-Sisay) , Matin, Hamilton, McConville, Whalley, Pressley (Leigh)

Subs: Jensen, Woods, Adekoya, Fernandes

Yellow: Coyle, Rodgers, Martin

Crowd: 2510 (554)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account