Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

05 March 2022 Venue Fratton Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Portsmouth 4 Stanley 0

Reds continue to struggle on their travels with loss to ten-man Pompey

5 March 2022

Accrington Stanley’s troubles on their travels continued as they lost 4-0 to ten-man Portsmouth at Fratton Park.

The Reds have now lost five away games on the bounce and would have expected more with Pompey down to ten-men for almost 70 minutes.

But Portsmouth, who will hope to make a late charge for the Play-Offs, were clinical and John Coleman will be frustrated as his side conceded two goals from set-pieces.

The Reds boss made three changes from the 3-2 victory over Wycombe with Josh Woods making his first EFL start.

Yeboah Amankwah came in for the suspended Mitch Clark while Seamus Conneely was back in the starting XI.

Stanley started well as, in the first minute, a chip from Sean McConville was only narrowly over the crossbar and two minutes later, from a corner, Conneely’s shot was also close.

Portsmouth took the lead on 16 minutes when Mahlon Romeo spun in a cross and George Hirst got to the ball first and tucked it into the bottom corner of the net.

Pompey were reduced to 10 men on 21 minutes when Marcus Harness was shown a straight red card for violent conduct, following a tackle on Ross Sykes.

Stanley were unable to capitalise immediately on the man advantage and Portsmouth made their next chance count on 28 minutes. A Ryan Tunnicliffe corner was headed home by Sean Raggett.

On 33 minutes, Coleman took off defender Amankwah and put on winger Rosaire Longelo as Stanley looked to get back in it.

And towards the end of the half, the Reds pressed with a Woods strike saved by keeper Gavin Bazunu, Matt Butcher’s effort was deflected wide and Longelo’s shot was through a sea of bodies but Bazunu managed to keep it out.

Harry Pell came on at the break for Conneely as Stanley looked to boost their attack against the ten-men.

Colby Bishop had an early header in the second half which tested Bazunu and Coleman made his final substitution when Tommy Leigh came on against the club which released him aged 16.

Stanley continued to press, Michael Nottingham drilling a long range effort just wide, but they were 3-0 down on 56 minutes when another Tunnicliffe corner was headed home by Hirst for his second of the game.

The Reds tried to get back in it and Bishop was desperately unlucky not to get one back on 66 minutes and, in the ensuing goalmouth scramble, Sykes’ final shot was off-target.

It was four on 69 minutes when the ball was cut back by Aiden O’Brien to Tunnicliffe and he fired past Toby Savin.

Stanley continued to press but Ethan Hamilton rifled an effort over the bar while Bishop’s effort was straight into the keeper’s arms to end a disappointing day for the Reds.

Stanley: Savin, Rodgers (Leigh), Nottingham, Sykes, Amankwah (Longelo), McConville, Butcher, Conneely (Pell), Hamilton, Woods, Bishop

Subs: Isherwood, Rich-Baghuelou, Morgan, Adedoyin

Yellow: Pell, Nottingham

Attendance: 15,051

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account