Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

19 September 2020 Venue Pirelli Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Burton Albion 2 Stanley 1

Late goal gives Burton win after Joe Pritchard had levelled for the Reds

19 September 2020

John Brayford headed Burton Albion to victory with three minutes to go after it looked like Accrington Stanley had rescued a point at the Pirelli Stadium.

Joe Powell’s 72nd minute close range effort put the Brewers ahead before, on 83 minutes, Joe Pritchard equalised at the far post.

However, much to John Coleman’s frustration, Stanley couldn’t hold on as Ben Fox played the ball into the box and captain Brayford headed home the winner for Stanley's first league loss of the campaign.

There wasn't a lot in the game until it burst into life with 18 minutes left.

While Burton dominated possession in the first half, chances were at a premium with Stanley having the best of them.

Burton’s Kane Hemmings had the first real effort on 13 minutes but he fired narrowly wide from 20 yards.

Ryan Cassidy had a great chance to put Stanley ahead just before the 20-minute mark after a deflection sent the ball to him in the area but he was unable to connect properly and goalkeeper Ben Garratt came out and scrambled the ball into his arms.

Lucas Akins, who scored in the Carabao Cup for the Brewers against the Reds two weeks ago, fired into the side netting and Cameron Burgess pulled off a fantastic last ditch tackle as Hemmings lined up to shoot.

Garratt again denied Watford loan striker Cassidy on 39 minutes, saving with his legs after the frontman had turned and fired in the area.

Burton went straight down the other end and Akins had a free header eight yards out but Toby Savin collected the ball at the second attempt.

Stanley almost took a lead into the break when Mark Hughes found Tariq Uwakwe on the wing, he played a great ball into the box and Dion Charles was denied from close range by Garratt.

An early Uwakwe deflected free kick put Stanley on the front foot after the interval while, at the other end, Burton forced a succession of corners.

Cassidy had another good opportunity when an Uwakwe free kick found Ross Sykes in the area, he headed it to the far post and Burgess and Cassidy both jumped with the striker getting the touch but his header was straight to Garratt who denied him for the third time.

The Brewers then appealed for a spot kick when Akins went down under a challenge from Savin but the referee Josh Smith gave a goal kick.

The game sprung to life as Burton took the lead on 72 minutes when an Akins ball from the right was knocked on by Hemmings onto Powell and he fired home from close range.

It was then end-to-end and, with just seven minutes to go, defender Sykes was unlucky when he rifled the ball against the bar from 20 yards.

Uwakwe played the rebound back in and the ball bounced around the area before falling to Pritchard at the far post and he fired home his first of the campaign.

It would have been a good point, having lost on penalties at Burton in the cup two weeks ago, but then Brayford struck.


Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account