Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

03 October 2020 Venue Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: AFC Wimbledon 1 Stanley 2

Quickfire goals from Sykes and Butcher give Reds second league win of the season

3 October 2020

Two goals in four minutes secured Accrington Stanley their second League One win of the season against previously unbeaten AFC Wimbledon.

Ryan Longman had given Wimbledon an 18th minute lead before Ross Sykes crashed home the equaliser on 41 minutes and four minutes later Matt Butcher rifled home the winner in the game played at QPR.

Stanley boss John Coleman brought back Tariq Uwakwe, Colby Bishop and Seamus Conneely with Dion Charles suspended.

The Reds started off well but Joe Pritchard could only find the wall with an early free kick.

Toby Savin was the first keeper to make a save on 10 minutes, pushing over a Luke O’Neill long range strike.

AFC Wimbledon stopper Connal Trueman was next in action, diving low to tip Butcher’s effort around the post.

The home side took the lead on 18 minutes when a Joe Pigott long range shot hit the post and bounced out with Longman pouncing first to turn the ball into the net.

Stanley appealed for a spot kick a minute later for a push on Bishop and then Wimbledon enjoyed a spell of pressure without testing Savin.

The Reds went on the hunt for an equaliser and Conneely played a great ball to send Ryan Cassidy charging through but Trueman came out and got their first – with the Watford loan striker needing treatment.

The equaliser came on 41 minutes when Uwakwe’s free kick found Harvey Rodgers, the ball bobbled around the area and defender Sykes was there to rifle the ball into the roof of the net.

The Reds completed a turnaround on the stroke of half-time when Cassidy, on the left wing, fed Butcher on the edge of the area and he fired into the bottom corner of the net.

Stanley limited AFC Wimbledon after the break. Longman went on a run from his own half but his finish was easy for Savin and, while the home side put some balls into the box, they didn’t really trouble the Stanley defence.

On 65 minutes, new loan signing Jon Russell from Chelsea came on for his Reds debut but goalmouth action was still limited until the 80th minute when Longman rifled the crossbar from distance but this time it didn’t bounce kindly for Wimbledon and Stanley managed to clear.

The Reds held on for their first away win of the 2020/21 campaign.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account