Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
01 February 2020 Venue Wham Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League One

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Stanley 2-1 AFC Wimbledon

The Reds secure their first league win of 2020 despite having a man less for the last 35 minutes

1 February 2020

First half goals from Jordan Clark and Dion Charles saw Accrington Stanley to a 2-1 win over AFC Wimbledon and the club's first league win of 2020.

Stanley began the game the better of the two sides and winger Clark opened the scoring on 14 minutes with a composed finish from inside the box.

The Reds doubled their lead seven minutes later when Charles produced an unbelievable piece of skill to flick the ball over his head and into the far corner of the net.

John Coleman's side were reduced to 10-men on 55 minutes when Joe Pritchard received a harsh second yellow card for an alleged dive inside the penalty area.

The visitors pulled a goal back 17 minutes from time when Joe Pigott diverted a cross past Josef Bursik and into the back of the net, but Stanley were able to hold on and secure a crucial win.

After announcing his retirement on Wednesday, Billy Kee was met with an unbelievable reception by the Reds supporters ahead of kick-off for this afternoon's game at the Wham Stadium.

The striker was then presented with a framed memento by the Official Accrington Stanley Supporters' Trust in front of the Farleys Solicitors Stand.

The Reds came into this afternoon's game without a league win in 2020, but Coleman's side started lively and winger Clark opened the scoring on 14 minutes with a composed finish from inside the area.

Stanley doubled their lead seven minutes later through Charles, with the striker flicking the ball over his head and into the far corner to score what will be one of the goals of the season.

The game's first yellow card came on 28 minutes when Pritchard was booked for what looked like a fair challenge, but referee James Oldham decided that the winger had committed a late push.

With two minutes until half-time Pritchard was again involved, with the winger bursting into the penalty area but his last touch was too heavy and Dons goalkeeper Joe Day was out quickly to clear the ball.

The second half began in the same way the first ended with Pritchard causing problems for the visitors, as the winger this time hit an effort from range just over the crossbar.

The game's talking point came on 55 minutes when Pritchard again raced into the box before he was brought down, with referee Oldham ruling that the he had dived before producing a second yellow card to the winger.

Wimbledon's Joe Pigott halved Stanley's lead on 73 minutes, with the ball being sent into the box and the striker directed it past Bursik and into the back of the net.

Stanley almost had a third goal with five minutes left to play when the ball fell nicely for Offrande Zanzala, but the substitute's shot went just wide of the post.

The striker's miss failed to prove crucial though as Stanley held on for a vital 2-1 win and first league victory of 2020.

Coleman's men are now without a game for 10 days, with Stanley's next outing being an away trip to play Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday 11th February, 7.45pm kick-off.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account